Sunday, July 28, 2013

I haven't changed much since 1988.

I thought I threw this charming memo away, but I was delighted to find it recently. I am deleting the name of the author and the newspapers I worked for not because I want to protect him, but because I do not want him to find it and be proud of himself for writing something that I have kept for 25 years.

This was written by the owner who listed himself on the masthead as "Editor and Publisher." I think he made some fair points about my journalism style, but I couldn't really hear the criticism over all the capital letters. At the time, this hurt me deeply. Now, I can laugh and I'm a little bit proud that I annoyed the shit out of that motherfucker. Honestly, thank God my mother and father never taught me to say "Yes ma'am" and "No Sir."

You can read the whole memo, or you can slip right down to the end to read...the *rest* of the story.

To: All employees
The Timey Tattler
The Rhymey Rattler

From: Editor and Publisher 11/14/1988

Two Things:

1-- This note is handwritten because my last desire was to sit at a computer all day Sunday while most of you were enjoying a day off.

2-- READ the MEMO DO NOT CAST it aside as many of them have been. It will be to your benefit. Your employment may depend on it. Consider them personal.

Most of you will have an individual note attached to the general memo. If you do not, simply consider yourself lucky.

For the past several weeks there have been many things continuing to go wrong. We are at a loss as to why. Attitude? Resolve? Personal Problems? On-the-job Problems?

It is undefined.

With the staff size and support help we have, the newspapers we publish on a weekly basis should be done without breaking a sweat.

Possibly, some of you do not break a sweat, for your effort stops when you consider your part done, you simply quit, stand around, talk, or whatever.

Now, we'll talk about some basic facts--these aren't really for discussion, but statements of fact.

All three publications are everyone's responsibility. The Rhymey Rattler, The Rhymey Rattler Plus, The Timey Tattler should concern everyone. The success of those publications ultimately serve as a basis for your success. Each must be successful for you to continue to grow, professionally.

Whatever is required to complete a publication--just do it. Don't evaluate--just complete the task.

Consider each publication as your personal challenge.

BITCHING & WHINING

I have reached my limit of listening--or not listening--to bitching and whining.

As a practical manner--if you do not like your job then come to my office now and resign. No hard feelings. This is not something to take lightly.

As much complaining, whining, and general dissatisfaction which is evident in the plants something must be seriously wrong.

The petty exchanges, the griping, all of this you can do at home. I don't want to hear it, no should you have time to spend exchanging this type of information.

The rule of thumb I have always worked by is simple:

Take Job --> Do Job --> Go Home

Nowhere in this formula is a bunch of time for sitting or standing--and talking about everything else, EXCEPT WORK.

Here is an explanation of why.

The average wage in the group is $.4.61 per hour.

This is a base pay AVERAGE, NO COMMISSION, NO overtimne.

That is a per minute average pay rate of .077 per minute

If every employee wastes 10 minutes per day
That is .768 x 12 employees = $9.22

$9.22 per day x 5 days = $46.10 per week

$46.10 x 52 weeks = $2397.20/year.

That's if there is only 10 minutes wasted per person.

It isn't hard to calculate this small business cannot afford that kind of time loss; now or ever, nor could any of you afford to lose this much money. We certainly cannot--and obviously will not.

In light of the importance of this memo I suggest you consider each point very closely.

Make certain you understand what we're trying to accomplish. We cannot survive if we merely accept jamming a bunch of pages into a box three times a week. --It's not that simple.

Every publication should be accurate, complete and well prepared.

We cannot lose revenue to inattention -- or have errors filling our pages requiring corrections.

If we are going to run a large staff--then we MUST produce large, quality publications.

We do not need lazy employees, nor employees who make an effort to appear busy, which avoiding the task at hand. Know what the priorities are--IF YOU DO NOT KNOW--Ask.

I do not like threats--nor working with them--I also do not like to worry, and it has all become a worry, because I feel like the publications cannot get done unless we tug and pull each one.

AGAIN--should you feel you cannot do what is necessary exercise your options, otherwise adhere to what is contained in this memo.

Please give attention to any additional sheets. This is the end of the general memo.

Ms. Pheifer:

As the general memo obviously reflects there are some problems. Some are yours--some for others.

First and foremost ERRORS. It is impossible to pretend by the many spelling errors I have have that is not something I should work on. You have problems as well.

Accordingly--your style is very shoddy. You know the normal, however. You must review things such as number usage--percentages, signs, etc. You leads continue to be lacking--a poor lead really ruins your stories, no matter how strong they may be inside.

While you may refine your style to be consistant--ERRORS are something else. You have had two or three clarifications in a row--This means by & large you are either not obtaining the information correctly--recording it incorrectly--or not writing it correctly. Whatever--it is obviously something you should give attention to.

Your attitude is something I guess I will never understand. I suggest you give strong consideration to a personal evaluation.

Take a look at your personal goals. Your personal interpersonal skills. You may not have had to exercise any personal respect for anyone before coming to work here, however, it is something common practice should address. If you cannot say yes or no mam or sir in the office then your practices outside are undefined. There is no way of knowing how you relate to other than you will express your opinion--whatever & whenever.

We have discussed far too many times some of the following. However, since this is a general sir-out for the entire staff you can have this opportunity. If you are not happy and want to leave, now is the time. We will do what is best. However, if you want to stay make ready to accomplish the following:

--Clean the darkroom--keep in order. Negatives are all over.

--Have your stories written within 4 hours of notes.

--Darkroom work should not be clustered but done as film is available. This way there is an option.

--Post a picture runsheet--what we have--what's printed, what's extra, what's on hold.

--Post a primary and secondary story list. Get some stuff built up. Don't wait for paper to paper push. Too much error.

--Get an organizational plan together. Get facts straight--plan interviews and pictures.

--Act--don't react. There's enough news on a weekly basis to react to--get your self in order

--Be prepared to produce--design and layout all 3 papers. Everything from putting wax in the waxer to rolling down the finished pages. This must be done with accuracy--efficiency--preparation not reaction and complain.

In regard to the seminar; if you viewed it as too long then I certainly won't waste my money again and most certainly won't bust my ass to put out papers, etc. to allow you time off.

It's time to get it together and pay your dues. Being respectible--responsible--and consistancy in action are what it will take to be successful. Your attitude adjustment must take place now--be swift--or complete.

Without this you cannot be happy--I cannot be--and you will not be successful.

You have demonstrated ability but not strong judgement.

Take advantage of your intelligence.

__________________________________________________________________________

I started my new job 24 days later. I later discovered that the newspaper I had jumped to was the same newspaper where my former editor and publisher had been fired for embezzling. It is also my understanding that he was forced to sell the Tattler and the Rattler sometime in the early '90s to avoid bankruptcy.

And, my big finish--after this memo was given to me, I went to see my college advisor David Dick. (http://www.kentucky.com/2010/07/17/1351911/david-dick-former-cbs-newsman.html) At that time, David was a dean at the college of journalism and owned his own weekly paper in Paris, Kentucky. He graciously met with my teary-eyed self. He reviewed the memo and said not one word specifically about the content. His only comment that I recall is: "Your editor is a big man. And, someday, he's going to fall and when he does, he's going to fall hard."

Here are jpegs of the memo for you to enjoy:











1 comment:

  1. I've worked for guys like that. At the time, I was very young, and emotional, and prone to tears, so any good they tried to accomplish was lost in a Kleenex. ;-). That said, my bosses, like yours, didn't know how to be effective leaders, they only knew how to boss others around. There is a big difference!

    ReplyDelete